There are so many unprecedented advances in technology nowadays its hard to predict what emerging technologies will be making the headlines in 10 years time. Thought I should put on my wizard’s hat and try the black magic of predicting the future! So here is my Top10 Most Likely Trends and some from the experts.
- Mobile Internet – More and more people are accessing the Internet using mobile devices and it is expected that mobile Internet will overtake PCs as the most popular way to get on the web in 5 years time.
- The Internet of Things (IoT) – Cool name and this will be happening sooner than later.
- Cloud Computing – This is already becoming very popular and has many advantages for both small and big organisations and individuals.
- Smart Textiles – Who doesn’t want to wear clothing that senses the environment and keeps you warm when its cold and cools you down when its hot? Bet you the military can’t wait!
- Autonomous Cars – Imagine not having to go for a driving licence without paying for failing and no more drink driving!
- 3D Printing – At the rate the technology is growing I will be able to print my house and all the furniture in it.
- Flexible Displays – These will virtually be shatterproof as no glass is used. Rollable e-paper, rollable PC, roll-up TV, bendable GPS etc are just some examples of products.
- Smart Grids – I think it is time for a radical change in how we get our electricity. The current technology is over 100 years old and is obsolete.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) – Who doesn’t want to talk to their devices naturally?
- Affordable Green Energy – Will never run out and causes much less pollution. Cannot say no to that can you?
Well that is my Top 10 but as Andrew Maynard says as with all crystal ball gazing, it’s bound to be flawed. But what do some of the experts say? See their predictions.